There’s a great Business Zone blog by Michelle Carvill that highlights some interesting facts – ignore at your business peril!
Key takeaways –
Over the last 5 years –
- There are 200,000,000 registered Twitter users
- Almost 88% of people have awareness of Twitter and its existence
- There are 450,000 new Twitter accounts created everyday
- Meaning there are 5.2 accounts created every second of everyday
So we can longer claim that’s it unknown – there is a huge audience out there, right at your fingertips. That is a lot of people in a short space of time that have been convinced by its power.
- There are one billion tweets posted every week
- 180,000,000 everyday
- 138,888 every minute
- Over 1,650 every second
- Just 5% of users create 75% of the content tweeted
- There are 1.6 billion search queries everyday
- Meaning that there are 18,000 search queries every second
Still worried that you’re too old to be using it or that your brand or company is the wrong sort to be using twitter? Take a look at the numbers then…
- 46% of users are female
- 54% are male – very equal demographics
- 53% don’t have children
- 47% do have children – time doesn’t seem to be an issue
- The majorty of users are aged between 30 and 49 – perfect age group
- 43% of people follow a brand for special deals/offers
- 75% of users are more likely to purchase from a brand they follow – good headstart
- 67% of users are likely to recommend a brand they follow to other users
Ok….but maybe you’re still worried about the freedom of speech that users have. The fact that anyone can write anything about you, your brand, your services or your skills… They are anyway – whether you engage or not!
1,000,000 people view tweets about customer service each week
- 80% of those tweets are negative and critical
- As much as 75% of traffic comes from sources outside Twitter
We’ll let you in on a secret – whether you have an account or not people can write whatever they want, whenever they want – they will get heard and it will get commented on and it will get passed on. Surely it’s better to be listening in on those criticisms, dealing with them and changing things for the better. Let people know you’re listening.
Maybe you don’t have a brand or a company or even a job – we’ve got a stat that should get you tweeting nonetheless
- Up to 85% of companies are using social media as part of their recruitment
Or maybe you don’t have the time to be on twitter in the middle of the day and therefore think you would miss out on most activity anyway….
- 5pm is the best time to be retweeted